Follow ThisGuyBlogs on Twitter

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Bruins Win The Stanley Cup: I Cried like a Baby

(thanks to Megan for taking this pic and capturing this moment)

I spend way too much money on sports memorabilia, clothing, tickets and TV packages. There are times I will miss important events or change my schedule just so I can watch a game. Any women who has dated me knows we are not doing anything on Thursday or Saturday nights because the Bruins are on. At times I question if its worth putting myself through all this.  People often ask me why I am so obsessed with sports.  Most of the time I really dont have a great answer. Last night the answer to that question came trickling down my face.

As the game ended the bar I was at played beautiful day by U2.  People all around the bar shook up beer and sprayed it into the air. As the beer came raining down and soaked my head, tears filled my eyes. I found the answer. This was why I watched all season.  This was why I spent all that money on the NHL package to watch the B's while I was at school in NJ.  This was why year after year I cleared my schedule for this team. This was why I never wavered for one second away from a sport that was clearly 4th on the totem pole of Boston sports. I did it all for that moment.  A moment where all the time and emotion you have put in for years all comes to fruition.

I will never forget that Moment for the rest of my life.  Sports has a funny way of humbling you in so many ways.  I watched the Bruins religiously since 1993. I've seen a lot of brutal seasons and felt heart breaking losses. On the night of June 15th 2011 my faith was rewarded.  It  took a while for reality to hit me that we won.  As I sat on the Ferry headed back to the Vineyard this morning, a guy saw me in my championship gear.  He walked up to me, held his fist out for me to pound it and said, "We're world champions." As the sun shined down on me in the middle of Vineyard Sound it finally hit. You're right my friend, we are world champions.

Thanks to everyone that read and followed my Bruins posts all season.  I had a hunch that this was going to be a special year and I wanted to document it.  I guess that hunch was right.