Follow ThisGuyBlogs on Twitter

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I Met The Stanley Cup On Martha's Vineyard and Gave it an Ass-out Hug




As you wait in line to get your moment with the Stanley Cup you have these preconceived notions as to what you are going to do when you get there. You have an idea of how you want to stand and what you want the picture to look like. The closer you get to the cup all those thoughts go right out the window. Your heart starts to race and thoughts quickly flash through your head. You think of the all the ups and the downs you have had over the years while supporting this team and how long you've waited for this moment.  As you slowly take your last 2 steps and wrap your arms around the cup your mind goes numb. The only thing you can think of is being in that exact moment.  Its tough to put into words so I will let the pictures of that day do most of the talking...

(Yes those sideburns are thick as fuck. That's how I roll muthafuckers)

I was so overwhelmed after touching the cup I squatted down against the wall and just starred at it for a few minutes (VIDEO). I was at a loss for words. Staring at the cup and watching peoples faces light up was just too enjoyable for me to leave, so I didn't. I stayed for the entire 2 hour event and soaked it all in, talking to Bruins fans and watching everyone else get their moment with the cup. Its just not something you get to see everyday.

Thanks again to Yoojin Cho from the MV times for letting me stand next to her for 2 hours and pretend I was working for the news paper. Big shot out to the Edgartown police who knew I was full of shit and didnt work for the paper but they let me stay the whole time anyway. Thanks to David Welch for capturing the photo of me touching the cup. Also hats of to Jeremy Jacobs Jr. for paying for the entire operation and sharing his time with the Stanley cup with the people of Martha's Vineyard.  A very cool experience that everyone involved thoroughly enjoyed and a moment I will never forget


Ps. I almost lost my mind when this guy put his baby in the cup. I was rooting for it to happen baby after baby and and never did until this dad of the year showed up. Dude had no hesitation whatsoever and plopped his kid right in the bowl. I celebrated as if the Bruins just scored. The whole gym erupted in applause. It was the only time I actually wanted a baby of my own so I could put it in the cup. Then I realized I would have to change it and shit nevermind watch it for the next 18 years. Fuck that. I'll just live vicariously through this guy.