Follow ThisGuyBlogs on Twitter

Monday, April 11, 2011

While Dice-K Implodes, Dream about Our Back-up Plan

Boston.com 
In an interview with the New York Times, Pedro Martinez said he wants to return to the Red Sox.
Q: If the Yankees, the Phillies and the Red Sox called you to pitch and offered the same salary, which team would you sign with?
A: "I’d probably have to say the Red Sox. I would like to win a World Series in the National League, so the Phillies are in there, too. But for the time I’m going to be playing, I think Boston is more suitable so that I can retire with the Boston Red Sox and go to the Hall of Fame with the same hat."
Martinez hasn't pitched since Game 6 of the 2009 World Series. He is 39 now.

I really don't give a shit if Pedro is 39.  Watching Dice-K's implode in the top of the second inning tonight makes me sick. Im done watching him trying to paint the corners of the strike zone when he doesn't come close to having the control to do it.   At some point this season it will be time to cut Dice-K and eat most of the remaining money on the rest of his contract.  Bringing Pedro back around the end of June would not only be a great story but it may be needed.  The emotion of Martinez could be a shot in the arm for a team that seems to have way too many "lunch pail" kinda guys.  the Sox need some personality and it looks like they may need some arms. I know #18 is a major question. Could a return of #45 be the answer?