Follow ThisGuyBlogs on Twitter

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Drew Bledsoe Week: Jambalaya, The 1996 Run To The Superbowl and Why Is This Guy Crying?



This season alone is the number one reason why I have a major sports addiction with not just the Patriots but sports in general.In 1996 I had season tickets which my mom actually won from work. Being 15 years old and having season tickets at the 50 yard line is fake life. When I look back at it now, its amazing how these tickets got in my possession. No way corporate america would let this kinda deal trickle all the way down the company and somehow end up in the hands of a 15 year-old. 

(Yes, Those were literary my seats. I even wrote "Chief" in Marker Under the #2. Which is proof that I have been a little dick head my whole life.)
This whole season was magical. I went to every home game including both playoff games. After the divisional game we waited outside the parking lot where the players parked. Back then there wasnt much security, not to mention it was like 3 hours after the game so no one was really around. Eventually all the players started walking to thier cars as they emerged from a big tent that was serving post game meals. Among the players was Drew. He talked to us for a while, singed autographs and then we took this picture.


One week later, the Patriots beat Jacksonville in the AFC championship game to get to the Superbowl. Foxboro Stadium was going nuts. (seen In the Video Above.) I was so young that I dont think I fully understood the magnitude of the moment. All season we had this husband and wife that sat right behind us in section 320, they also had season tickets.  These people were like our football family on Sundays, they definitively looked out for us. As the celebrations were going on all around us this guy hugs my cousin and I. He had tears coming down his face and said. "I'm so happy you guys, I've been waiting my whole life for this." Being just 15 I had no idea why this guy was crying over sports... 5 years later, Vinatieri hit the game winning field goal to give the Patriots their first Superbowl title. As I stood in my living room hugging my cousin tears welled up in my eyes. In that moment I now knew why that guy in section 320 was crying.