Follow ThisGuyBlogs on Twitter

Monday, March 28, 2011

LOL!! OMG! WTF??? Oxford Dictionary is Making a Mistake



A crop of abbreviations common to texting and email have been included in the Oxford English Dictionary, legitimizing the language shift caused by rapid-fire, text-based communications.
The online abbreviations for "laughing out loud," or LOL, "best friends forever," or BFF, "in my humble opinion," or IMHO and "oh my God," or OMG, are now part of the OED, reflecting the influence of mobile and Internet technologies on contemporary language usage. The venerable tome recently added all four abbreviations during one of its quarterly updates. The heart symbol was also added to the dictionary, becoming the first symbol to make its way into the book as a "word."

Wait? Are you saying that the fuckin heart symbol got in the dictionary but "WTF" didn't?  You got to be kidding me.  Who votes on this shit?  I want to be on that committee next year because I have got some abbreviations to add.  Do any of these people watch the Jersey Shore?  I mean I could write an entire sentence on abbreviations...

"WTF?  I need to get my GTL on so I can find a girl that is DTF and I don't even care if its OPP."

Oh you don't know about "OPP"?  O is for other, P is for people. The Last P? Well... thats not that simple.